Charles Eames (1907-1978), born in St. Louis, and his wife Ray Kaiser Eames (1912-1988), born in Sacramento, left a great American legacy in a number of areas, including architecture, furniture and product design, groundbreaking films, along with an exhaustive list of awards and honors.
Charles’ background in architecture and drafting, and Ray’s in abstract art, eventually led them both to Cranbrook Academy in Michigan, where they met each other, as well as architect and designer Eero Saarinen. The three began collaborating and soon were known for their organic style.
In 1941 the Eameses relocated to Los Angeles where Charles worked for a time in the movie industry and Ray created cover designs for the influential journal, “California Arts and Architecture.”
After World War II, the Eameses received a contract from the U.S. Navy to develop lightweight, mass-produced leg splints for injured servicemen, as well as aircraft components.